The Society’s Trustees are collectively known as its Council and are elected from the Fellowship. Council usually meets four times a year to decide matters of policy and to review and agree recommendations of the Advisory Committees and Officers.
Elections to Council take place at the Anniversary Meeting, the high point in the Society’s calendar held on St George’s Day or the most convenient weekday adjacent to 23 April.
At least one third of the members of Council must retire and replacements be elected at each Anniversary Meeting.
Current (2023-24) members of Council:
- Martin Millett, DPhil, FBA (President) Chair
- Carol Bell, MA, PhD (Treasurer)
- John Cooper, DPhil, FRHistS (Director)
- Heather Sebire, PhD, MCIfA, FSAScot (Hon Secretary)
- Robert Bewley, BA, MPhil, PhD
- Victoria Bryant, BA, MA, MClFA
- Emily Cole, BA, MA, DPhil
- Timothy Schroder, MA, DLitt
- Rosemary Sweet, MA, DPhil
- Simon Kaner, MA, PhD
- Ann MacSween, MA, MA, MSc, PhD, MCIfA, FSA Scot
- Elizabeth Hallam Smith, CB, PhD, FSA, FRHistS
- Shahina Farid, BA
- Thomas Williams, PhD
You can contact our Officers on their dedicated Society email addresses:
A list of our updated Governance Documents including all Orders can be found below.
Patron and Royal Fellows
HRH The Duke of Gloucester has been the Society’s Patron since 2001.
The Society’s Royal Fellows are His Majesty King Charles III, Her Majesty the Queen of Denmark and His Royal Highness the Duke of Gloucester.
Council may propose as Royal Fellows any member of the royal families of any country without ballot. Royal Fellows pay no subscription and ‘have no voice in the management of the Society’.
Our Committees assist Council with the management of specific areas of the Society’s business:
- Library and Collections
- Ethical Conduct Body
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Steering Group
Our annual review is a summary of how we work to achieve our charitable objectives. Find out more about the highlights of last year in our Annual Review 2022-23 [PDF]
You can find last year’s review here. Annual Review 2021-22 [PDF]
Read our 2021/22 Statutory Accounts.
Minutes from Council
Recent Governance Documents
- Revised December 2022: Order 3
- April 2022: Order 6: Affiliate Member Scheme
- July 2021: Report of the Equality & Diversity Working Group
- December 2020: Statement of Investment Policy Principles
- October 2015: Order 1
- Revised September 2020: Order 2
- September 2020: Order 4
- September 2020: Order 5
- September 2020: Ethical Conduct Body Terms of Reference (Revised May 2021, updated July 2021)
- June 2021: Members of the Ethical Conduct Body
- March 2021: Complaints Procedure (Society Staff)