This illuminated book of psalms in Latin from the Old Testament of the Bible with a calendar and various prayers was owned by Robert de Lindesey, the Benedictine Abbot of Peterborough from 1214 to 1222. It is one of the few prayer books from the 13th century that can be connected to a named individual and, therefore, closely dated. The psalter was bequeathed in 1768 by Charles Lyttelton, Bishop of Carlisle and President of the Society from 1765 to 1768, who had acquired it from another Fellow, Smart Lethieullier. The manuscript includes two full-page miniatures of the Crucifixion and Christ in Majesty and one full-page ornamented initial, all attributed to the same artist. These, with other decorated initials, are regarded as prime examples of the early Gothic style in English painting. This psalter is one of the Society’s greatest treasures.