'St Thomas Becket's Casket', 1195-1200. Enamel on copper. LDSAL110.
Museum Image Services
The Society holds an image library of material from across its Library and Museum Collections. Digital images can be provided for commercial, charitable and non-commercial use, subject to a licensing agreement. Terms and conditions of image supply and licensing can be found in our Image Policy.
The Society can provide a non-exclusive license (and digital images if required) covering the reproduction of Society copyright content and Society-owned copyright-expired works for the following purposes, without charge:
- For non-commercial research or private study.
- For use in a classroom, school, college or university for teaching purposes.
- For reproduction in a dissertation or thesis submitted by a student attending a recognised or listed educational establishment or organisation. An electronic version of the dissertation or thesis may be stored online on the understanding that online availability incurs no financial costs to the end user.
- A presentation or lecture for which the speaker is not receiving a fee.
- For academic publications for which there is no remuneration for the author and where the print run is 1000 or less.
Charges may apply for provision of digital images and/or image licensing for commercial purposes. ‘Commercial purposes’ are defined by the Society as:
- Reproducing a work in any manner that is primarily intended for, or directed toward, commercial advantage or monetary compensation (Creative Commons).
- Use of an image on or in anything that is charged for, on or in anything connected with an activity, process or event that is charged for, or on or in anything intended to make a profit or to cover costs.
Enquiries concerning digital images and licenses can be made by completing an Image Request Form and submitting it by email to: email@example.com. Alternatively, Image Request Forms can be printed, completed and sent in hard copy to:
Society of Antiquaries of London
Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BE
The Society can also commission photography on behalf of customers if the Society either (a) cannot provide a digital image of suitable quality, or (b) does not already have a digital image of the object(s) on file. In this instance, enquirers will be expected to meet the photography charges, and the Society will retain copyright of the image and supply under license.
For more information regarding commissioning photography, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Library Image Services…
Images of Paintings
Commercial Image Requests: Images of a number of our paintings can be obtained from Bridgeman Images. A full list of images available via Bridgeman are listed in the Society's Image Policy. Please contact Bridgeman Art Library directly for inquiries related to using images of our paintings for publication purposes.
Images for Reference:If you want to browse images of our paintings online, you can visit the Art UK website.