Group Visits and Information for Coaches
Kelmscott Manor Extends a Warm Welcome to Our Group Visitors
Kelmscott Manor promises a unique experience for groups at the spiritual home of the Arts and Crafts Movement. We welcome groups of all ages and interests to former Cotswold retreat of William Morris. With so much to see and do both in the Manor and in the surrounding Kelmscott village, we would recommend allowing a minimum of two hours for your visit.
Unfortunately we are unable to accomodate large groups on our public open days (Wednesday and Saturday) however, we may be able to accomodate groups of up to 25 people. Please notify us as far in advance as possible to discuss arrangements.
Please note that we DO NOT accept coaches on our public open days in during the last two weeks of July and the whole of August.
Group Visits on Thursdays
Private visits for groups can be arranged every Thursday, April to October. You will need to pre-book in order that we can make your visit as welcoming as possible.
We offer a range of benefits and services to groups of 25 or more people, including exclusive access to the Manor and grounds on our group open days. We offer guided tours with experienced guides (both for general interest and special interest groups), and delicious home-cooked food in our 5-star rated Tearoom.
Every group is personally welcomed by our visitor experience team.
If you would like to visit us as a group on a Thursday during 2019 please let us know as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Organising a Group Visit
Group organisers are welcome to arrange a recce visit on either a Wednesday or a Saturday during our open season, free of charge.
Use the form at the bottom of this page to contact us about organising a group visit. You can also download an enquiry form here (these forms are for group organisers). We will contact you once we have received it to discuss your booking requirements.
2019 Group Rates and Information
We offer two basic group booking options:
Group Option 1
- Guided tour (25 to 36 people): Following refreshments and an introductory talk (approximately 25 minutes) by one of our experienced guides, you will be shown room-by-room around the Manor (three floors) in small groups.
- Cost (includes tea or coffee and homemade biscuits):
- Minimum fee based on 25 people - £437.50 (inc VAT)
- Adults - £17.50 per head (inc VAT)
- Students - £14.00 per head (inc VAT)
Group Option 2
- Free-flow tour (25 to 55 people): Following refreshments and an introductory talk (approximately 25 minutes) by one of our experienced guides, you will be able to explore the Manor at your own pace. Our knowledgeable room stewards will be available to answer any questions you may have and tell you more about the Manor and its collections.
- Cost (includes tea or coffee and homemade biscuits):
- Minimum fee based on 25 people - £362.50 (inc VAT)
- Adults - £14.50 per head (inc VAT)
- Students - £11.00 per head (inc VAT)
Please note: Our minimum group size is 25 people. Other offers such as Travelzoo, HHA or Friends Membership cannot be used in conjunction with a group visit. The group entry fee is not eligible for refund when purchasing a Friends Membership.
Free Entry Eligibility
The total group number should include any person eligible for free entry as listed below:
- 1 group organiser, tour escort or Blue Badge Guide (per coach, for groups of 32 and above)
- Accompanying carers
The Tearoom will be open at set times on group days.
We offer Ploughman's Lunch with a choice of Ham, Cheddar, Brie or Stilton. As an alternative, your group may prefer the option of Homemade Soup of the Day.
Afternoon groups may also like to follow their tour with a delicious Cream Tea.
Homemade cakes are normally available too and a small selection of wines and beers.
Please contact us for catering prices for group in 2019.
Arrival, Departure and Access
Your coach will be met by a member of our team at the coach bay outside the South Road Barn (drop-off and pick-up point). The coach bay is adjacent to the main entrance to the Manor.
Departure time will be agreed with the group prior to arrival.
As well as visiting the Manor and grounds, you may wish to take a short stroll along the Thames Path, only 200 metres from the Manor. We will be happy to direct you and your group.
Information for Coach Drivers
Coaches visiting the Manor should not exceed 12.5 metres in length due to required manoeuvers at the Manor, which involve reversing and turning in narrow roads without using nearby private property.
Coach drivers, approching Kelmscott from the South, should avoid the Radcot bridge on the A4095 from Faringdon, and all drivers are advised to use the western approach to Kelmscott via Lechlade turning off the A417 Lechlade to Faringdon Road at the Trout Inn.
Please follow the 'Kelmscott Manor' brown heritage signs and do not drive through the village of Kelmscott as the road is very narrow and likely to have cars parked around The Plough pub.
Please use our coach bays, adjacent to the Manor entrance, for your passengers to disembark, then you will need to reverse approximately 160 meters to the grass triangle to turn your coach around, and reverse back to the coach bay so as to be 'nose out' for your departure.
If there are two coaches it will be necessary for the drivers to liaise regarding the time of the first coach departure.
Download Additional Resources
- Download the Group Booking Information (PDF) document for full terms and conditions.
- Download the Group Booking Enquiry Form (PDF)
- Coach Instructions (PDF)
Please contact our Memberships and Groups Coordinator:
Telephone: 01367 253754