Kelmscott Manor, the inspirational Cotswold retreat of William Morris

When Morris first saw the Manor in 1871, he was delighted by this 'loveliest haunt of ancient peace'; he signed a joint lease for the property with his friend and colleague Dante Gabriel Rossetti, the Pre-Raphaelite artist.

The Manor and Gardens are now closed for conservation and improvement works, funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund, which will continue throughout 2020.

We plan to be open for a limited season next year but this will depend on the progress of the works.

We will not be taking any coach or group visits next year.

Please note that due to the above, our curatorial enquiry service and image request service have been suspended, and will be reviewed in January 2021.



MAS_BLACK_transparentAwards and Honours

Kelmscott Manor has full Accreditation under the Accreditation Scheme from Arts Council England.

Visit the Society of Antiquaries of London's 'Museum Policies' page to learn more about Accreditation and our collections care policies.

Kelmscott Manor receives more than 20,000 visitors a year. In 2018 it was chosen by Will Gompertz as one of the ten sites in Historic England's Irreplaceable: A History of England in 100 places Art, Architecture and Sculpture section.

Cotswolds Tourism named it the Small Visitor Attraction of the Year - 2014 (Gold Award) 

Tourism Logos

Kelmscott Manor is owned and managed by the Society of Antiquaries of London. The Society is committed to a sustainable future for Kelmscott Manor.

Download and read our Conservation Management Plan, or visit the Kelmscott Manor 'Past, Present and Legacy' page for more information.