The awards are endowed by a bequest from Mrs M.E. Lambarde (with additional funding from the Society) in memory of her ancestor, the antiquarian William Lambarde, whose works included A Perambulaton of Kent (1576), the first English county history.
The purpose of the awards is to support antiquarian or archaeological research by assisting with travel expenses.
Up to £500
Deadline for Applications
15 January annually
- Applications must be for travel to support the applicant’s individual research. Applications for travel to participate in an established project (eg as a participant in a field survey or excavation) or as one of multiple funding applications for a larger project (eg long-term fieldwork) will not be considered.
- Travel for conference attendance is not eligible.
- Awards will not be made for work contributing to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree.
The scheme is competitive and we are not always able to award grants to all applicants. In reaching its decisions Research Committee will put weight on the quality of the application and its viability, both financial and practical. All decisions made by the Committee are final.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Lambarde Award.
Applications must be made on the form provided.
- present a clear articulation of their research aims the contribution to scholarship
- present as detailed an estimate as possible of travel and associated expenses
- request a specific sum from the Society and declare any applications to other funding bodies
Grants must be taken up by 31 December of the year in which they are awarded.
Reporting and Acknowledgement
Successful applicants will be expected to submit a short report, no longer than 750 words, on the work undertaken.
The report (to be emailed as a Word document) must be received no later than 28 February of the year following the award of the grant (thus if the grant is awarded in March 2018, the reports should be submitted no later than 28 February 2019). No further grant will be made to any applicant who fails to meet this requirement.
In addition, the Society may request short reports suitable for inclusion in its newsletter, Fellowship News; its e-newsletter, SALON; or on its website.
Acknowledgement of the Lambarde Award should be made in any publication or practical use of the research.
Applying for a Lambarde Travel Award
- Please read the eligibility criteria above.
- You will be required to upload a completed form and your research proposal when you submit your application. Please read the requirements for completing the form carefully and follow the instructions.
- One reference is required, please make sure you arrange your reference in advance.
All applications must be submitted using our online application tool. When you are ready to make your application, click on Apply now below
Details of all successful applications since 2017 are available from Recent Awards.