The awards are in memory of Tessa Verney Wheeler (1893 -1936) and Sir Mortimer Wheeler (1890-1976) and were established through an appeal by the British Academy, the Institute of Archaeology (University College London) and the Society of Antiquaries of London.
The purpose of the award is to assist undergraduate or first-year postgraduate students studying archaeology at a UK university to gain archaeological fieldwork experience in addition to their degree studies, away from their home base and ideally abroad. Grants will be made toward travel and travel-related expenses.
Up to £500
Deadline for Applications
15 January annually
- The award is open to undergraduates and first-year postgraduates studying archaeology at a university in the UK.
- Travel for conference attendance is not eligible.
- Awards will not be made for work contributing to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree.
The scheme is competitive and we are not always able to award grants to all applicants. In reaching its decisions Research Committee will put weight on the quality of the application and its viability, both financial and practical.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Wheeler Award.
Applications must be made on the form provided.
- present a clear articulation of the purpose for which the grant is sought and how it will benefit them
- present as detailed an estimate as possible of travel and associated expenses
One reference is required. The referee must be a supervisor of recognised status and position who has agreed to supervise the grant if it is awarded. The reference must indicate agreement to be responsible for overseeing the work, comment on the quality and viability of your proposal, and demonstrate an assessment of any risks involved.
Grants must be taken up by 31 December of the year in which they are awarded.
Reporting and Acknowledgement
Successful applicants will be expected to submit a short report, no longer than 750 words, on the work undertaken.
The report (to be emailed as a Word document) must be received no later than 28 February of the year following the award of the grant (thus if the grant is awarded in March 2018, the reports should be submitted no later than 28 February 2019). No further grant will be made to any applicant who fails to meet this requirement.
Applying for a Wheeler Travel Award
- Please read the eligibility criteria above.
- You will be required to upload a completed form and your research proposal when you submit your application. Please read the requirements for completing the form carefully and follow the instructions.
- One reference is required, please make sure you arrange your reference in advance.
- All applications must be submitted using our online application tool. When you are ready to make your application, click on Apply now below.
Details of all successful applications since 2017 are available from Recent Awards.