About the William and Jane Morris Church Conservation Grants
We make these awards from the Morris Fund, which was formed in 1939 using a bequest to the Society from May Morris, the younger daughter of William and Jane Morris. In accordance with May’s will, we only support work carried out under the principles of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB), which was founded by her father.
Who can apply?
You can apply on behalf of a church, a chapel or any other place of worship in the United Kingdom.
What do we fund?
We fund smaller programmes of work concerned with the conservation of decorative or non-structural features inside the building. This might include, for example:
- stained glass windows
- internal monuments and tombs
- wall paintings
The object must have been made no later than 1896 (the year of William Morris’s death), even if it is in a building which is older.
What don’t we fund?
- projects outside the UK
- structural repairs and fabric maintenance
- alteration or decoration of buildings
- electrical rewiring, plumbing or central heating systems
- bells or organs
- works already completed (grants are not made retrospectively)
- anything created after 1896
- items on the outside or in the grounds of the building
How much can I apply for?
Our grants are between £500 and £5,000.
When should I apply?
You can apply at any time but the deadlines for the two rounds each year are:
- 31 March (applicants notified by 31 May)
- 31 August (applicants notified by 30 November)
What other conditions are there?
- A professional architect or established conservator must be engaged to direct the work.
- The work must be completed within one year of receipt of the grant.
- Completion of the work must be certified by an appropriate professional.
Is any other funding available?
The following organisations also offer funding for church conservation projects:
- The Church Buildings Council of the Church of England
- National Churches Trust
- Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme
- The Worshipful Company of Glaziers
- The Georgian Group Cleary Fund
- The Monumental Brasses Society
How do I apply?
Please follow this link to our Make a Grant Application page and follow the instructions there.
Details of all successful applications since 2018 are available from recent awards.
Download a flyer for the Jane and William Morris Church Conservation Grants programme.