The Society of Antiquaries of London Online Newsletter (Salon) is a fortnightly digest of news from the heritage sector. It focuses on the activities of the Society and the contribution that the Society's Fellows make to public life. Like the intellectual salons of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Europe, it aims to amuse and to stimulate debate as well as to inform. You are welcome to read Salon's editorial policy.
News and feedback for publication in Salon should be addressed to the Editor, Christopher Catling.
Problems receiving Salon?
Now that we've begun to send out Salon with a new e-delivery program, some readers have seen Salon land in their 'Junk' or ‘Spam’ folders. Usually as soon as you mark the email 'not junk' or ‘not spam’, your email client will remember this and should not
block future issues. However, with institutional emails (such as work, rather than personal emails), you may have to ask your IT department to make sure that Salon is ‘white listed’ using the information on this page of the MailChimp website. You could also provide us with a personal email address, rather than a work address.
Inside Salon Issue 309:
- Christmas Closing at Burlington House
- Forthcoming meetings
- From the Desk of the General Secretary
- Friends of Kelmscott Manor: buy a Gift Membership for Christmas
- Society Christmas cards
- The value to the UK economy of heritage tourism
- Queen’s Anniversary Prize awarded to Leicester for outstanding archaeology
- First World War commemoration projects announced
- Human Remains from wreck sites: English Heritage consultation
- The HLF’s ‘Collecting Cultures’ scheme is back
- The Crosby Garrett helmet on display at the Tullie House Museum, Carlisle
- The Garden History Society's Conservation Management Plan inventory
- Further evidence links Pembrokeshire and Stonehenge
- News of Fellows
- Lives Remembered: Mavis Batey
- Lives Remembered: Dennis John Turner (March 1932―January 2013)
- Call for papers: International Insular Art Conference 16 to 20 July 2014
- Eric Ravilious: artist and designer
- The Keep — now open for business
- The Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue
- Preserving and Presenting the Past
- Books of the Year
- Propose a lecture
You can read past editions of Salon in the Salon Archive.
Links to archived issues of Salon from Issue 293 (18 February 2013) to present
Archived issues of Salon,
May 2002 to February 2013